Travel the ancient lands of Greece on this rock climbing extravaganza
Incredible vistas of the sparkling Aegean Sea from high on your routes, to the bizarre cobblestone routes at Meteora topping out at a monastery all await climbers here. Combined with Greek culture; including some time in Athens, varied one pitch sport routes to long multi-pitch routes, ancient villages, and unique cuisine and you have the perfect rock climbing vacation.
With a flexible itinerary and easy transport to different climbing areas you can go with the flow. Climbing, eating ‚and meeting the friendly local people across the countryside as you travel from one area to the next will keep you smiling and ready to retire in Greece!
Trips with Mountain Madness in Greece can be arranged on a custom basis, or we have included here a sample itinerary that has worked well for our guests.When it comes down to rock climbing, Greece is unique. A big variety of rock types and a wide spectrum of difficulties make of this country a perfect destination for climbers of all levels.
We’ve handpicked routes from the most iconic areas focusing not only on the climbing aspect but also paying attention to the surrounding areas making sure that our guests will have the best experience. Participants will be able to climb an average of 10 pitches every day, all of them with easy access. We have also chosen interesting villages in order to enjoy a proper rest between climbs and explore the culture, people, and food of the region.
Options for routes for first-time beginners to those climbing higher grades are all happy here- so many options for all! If you’ve climbed in the gym only and want to transition to outdoor climbing, the different areas all offer opportunities for you to tune-up your skills and get some great climbing in.
from $3,850 – 10 Days / In country
- 1:1 - $6,750 per person
- 2:1 - $3,850 per person
- IFMGA/UIAGM certified guide
- Group gear
- Ground transportation
Price Does Not Include
- International airfare
- Hotel and hut accommodations
- Alcoholic and bottled beverages
- Personal climbing gear and clothing
- Personal expenses (phone calls, laundry, room service, extra meals, etc.)
- Travel insurance with trip cancellation, medical and evacuation policy
- All expenses associated with non-scheduled departure
- Guide gratuities
- $700 deposit at time of registration, which includes a $300 non-refundable registration fee
- Balance due 120 days prior to departure
- The balance may be paid by check, wire transfer, ACH or credit card with a 3% convenience fee
Climb is Arranged on a Custom Basis — Contact Us
Cancellation / Refund Policy
- MMI strongly recommends trip cancellation/interruption and evacuation insurance for all trips. Our insurance partner, Ripcord, offers comprehensive travel insurance including trip cancellation, as well as rescue/evacuation policies and can assist in answering any questions. In addition, Participant is expected to have sufficient medical insurance as prescribed by their country of origin. Participant understands that MMI does not include any type of insurance with the cost of the trip.
- If you decide to cancel your trip or change your itinerary, MMI must be notified in writing. Your trip will be cancelled from the date written notice is received. If proper written cancellation notice is not received, amounts paid and reservations made will be forfeited.
- Non-refundable fees may apply for certain trips in order to secure permits and other services. MMI must strictly adhere to cancellation policies outside MMI’s control.
- Due to the personalized service we offer on our trips, MMI reserves the right to waive any fees. We will attempt to accommodate changes and cancellations, waiving certain fees when feasible.
- Full refund, less the non-refundable registration fee, will be provided 121 days or more before the departure date
- No refunds will be provided 120 days or less before the departure date
We strongly recommend the purchase of travel cancellation insurance to protect you from the unexpected. You aren’t likely to think of it now, but people do get ill, break a bone, have a family emergency or get assigned to a last-minute business trip. If you are in remote areas, please note that emergency rescue & evacuation can be very expensive.
We also strongly urge you to consider rescue and evacuation insurance if your own policy does not provide the coverage needed. Services available may include, but are not limited to, helicopter evacuation, medical care, etc.
If you choose not to purchase insurance, you assume full responsibility for any expenses incurred in the event of a medical emergency and/or evacuation, as well as for trip cancellation, interruption, lost luggage, etc. We are not the experts and therefore ask that you please consult our travel insurance partner directly with any specific questions.
To protect against losses due to illness, accident, or other unforeseen circumstances, Mountain Madness strongly recommends the purchase of travel insurance as soon as possible after making a deposit. Mountain Madness has partnered with Redpoint Resolutions as our preferred travel insurance provider. Redpoint’s Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance™ is designed for adventurers.
For a quote, or to purchase travel insurance, please click this link Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance™ or call +1 – 415-481‑0600. Pricing varies based on age, trip cost, trip length, and level of coverage.
Critical benefits of Ripcord Rescue Travel Insurance include:
- A completely integrated program with a single point of contact for emergency services, travel assistance, and insurance claims
- Evacuation and rescue services from your point of injury or illness to your hospital of choice
- Comprehensive travel insurance for trip cancellation/interruption, primary medical expense coverage, baggage loss or delay, emergency accident and emergency sickness medical expense, emergency dental, accidental death and dismemberment, and more
- Optional security evacuation coverage in case of an unplanned natural disaster or other security events
- Waiver for pre-existing conditions (must be purchased within 14 days of tour deposit)
- Optional “Cancel for Any Reason” coverage (must be purchased within 14 days of tour deposit)
Participants are requested to land at Athens airport.Unlike most Mountain Madness international trip itineraries, which include travel time to and from your destination, our Greece programs begin on the first day of service provided.
Greece Rock Day by Day
Arrival in Athens. A guide will meet you at the airport and you will settle into your hotel for the night and prepare for the next day’s travel.
We shake off the travels by climbing in the crag of Acharneis. This is a climbing crag next to the town of Fiji, just outside of Athens. It has 3 different areas, perfect for a first experience with the Greek climbing scene.
Travel to Meteora in the morning and first multi-pitch climb in the afternoon.
Multi-pitch climbing on the Meteora rocks. Routes will be determined by the ability of the participants. Visit to the old orthodox monasteries in the afternoon.
We climb on the Holy Ghost Tower. Among the longest routes in the area ‑the Pillar of Dreams, on the northeast face is definitely the climb with the best view. Right at the core of the range, this summit can be accessed only by climbers. The descent is done by consecutive rapels by the south face and a short hike across a forest full of fig trees.
Return to Athens. Time for rest or a short city tour in the afternoon.
Flight to Kalymnos and climbs around the Mirties village. Due to the strong winds of the Aegean Sea most to the flights to the island will depart early in the morning from Athens. This will allow us to climb on the same day of our arrival.
Ocean’s dream multi-pitch ascent. This face is the highest of the west part of the island and offers one of the best views.
South face of Telendos. The team will start by taking a boat from the port of Myrtias. Once on the island, a small approach will position the climbers at the base of the south face of the island where the best multi pitches of the Kalymnos area are located. The descent is done by walking down the north side and the day will end with a cold beer next to the beach.
Return to Athens. Participants can book their flights on the same day at night.
Note on Itinerary: Although we do our very best to follow the schedule listed, this itinerary is subject to change due to inclement weather, unsafe route conditions, or other reasons beyond our control and in the guide’s best judgement.
10 Days / In country
- 1:1 - $6,750 per person
- 2:1 - $3,850 per person